My Educational Weekend
Happy Hump Day!!!
I went to a day party this weekend and had a great time!!!!! I need to attend more!!
Recently, one of my male friends told me that I am unapproachable. I hear this often, although I’m not sure why I am unapproachable generally speaking. Saturday at the day party, I was conscious of my actions to learn why I am unapproachable at a party. Let me first say that I know that I am unapproachable when I go to the club; it’s intentional. I really don’t want anyone talking to me… but, maybe if I am more approachable in one setting then I’ll be more approachable in ALL settings. So these are the things I noticed that I do.
1. I make faces when I see something crazy. I know it’s not nice to judge, but sometimes people wear the craziest things!!!! I mean just downright WRONG, but like I said who am I to judge. My face doesn’t know that though… I swear it has a mind of its own. I think I get that from my mother. I’m working on this!! Keep a smile on my face at all times!!
2. I cross my arms. I know that closes me off, I’m working on it. It seems weird to just have my arms dangling, I don’t know. I guess I just need to keep a drink in my hand.
3. I am always standing in the back or the middle of my friends. I understand that a group of women can be intimidating to a man. We had a discussion about it at work one day. This guy likes my friend, but wouldn’t come to the table to speak to her with four other women at the table… that’s another story. I rarely go out alone, not to a party anyway, it’s generally four to five of us. I guess guys don’t want to get rejected in front of a group of women.
4. When I’m not in the back, I am standing with my back to the party facing my friends. I’m not sure why I do that, I’m usually just running my mouth or something. PROBLEM!!!! I already have my friends… I need to be facing the ACTION!
5. I don’t give eye contact; I look past people. Well sometimes I give eye contact. It really just depends. It seems when I give eye contact, the wrong person sees it!!! Saturday, I tried soooo hard to avoid this man’s gaze that it was awkward. Now I’m thinking, what if someone saw me breaking my neck to not acknowledge this man and thought that I was being rude.
So, I really paid attention to myself and learned a lot. I’m working on everything!!! The weird thing is, the type of guy that I like probably would never approach me anyway… well, maybe if I was off by myself he would. I’m not much for the smooth talkers, thanks to the frigg, I think they are full of shit!
So I am going to be a new approachable me! We’ll see how that works out… Maybe it’s not me being unapproachable, maybe it’s men being scared!! Hhmmm interesting!!